Sociologia na UAlg

8.10.05

Making Sociology relevant to Society

Howard S. Becker
(Excerto da comunicação apresentada no encontro da Associação Europeia de Sociologia em Murcia, Espanha, 2003)


I'm not sure that I'm in agreement with the premise of this discussion. Or,
rather, I am pretty sure that I am not in agreement with it. While I don't think
sociology should be irrrelevant, I do think the usual ways of talking about
these questions take too much for granted, especially what sociology should be
relevant to, and how we ought to try to maximize that relevance.
My basic
fear is that trying to make sociology relevant will inevitably and necessarily
make it irrelevant. Why? Because we will look at "problems" as they are framed
by others. That will, in turn, lead us to ignore those elements of a situation
that might actually be relevant to the solution of serious problems.
(...)

(http://home.earthlink.net/~hsbecker/relevant.htm)

2 Comments:

  • Parabéns Susaninha! Mais uma vez surpreendeste-me pela positiva! Foi uma grande ideia! Penso é que ainda pode ser criado um espaço para o ppl dar largas à sua imaginação e escrever os seus próprios pensamentos ou até as grandes citações dos nossos profs. ao longo do curso! Se a minha sugestão for aceite então põe lá esta: "O Sociólogo é o médico da sociedade". Prof. Luis Baptista Sociologia, Olé!.....

    By Anonymous Anónimo, at 8:17 da tarde  

  • bom comeco

    By Anonymous Anónimo, at 10:52 da tarde  

Enviar um comentário

<< Home


 
Who links to me?